PDA

View Full Version : How to get more RED?

JD Winata
02-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Here's some explaination about red colouration for Indonesian SuperRed aro ;
1.First you have to make sure the water parameter is secured and non toxic to the fish thats include no chlorine (tap water always use chlorine as desinfectant) ,no metals particle ,no contamination of any harmful agent.
Then make sure your water parameter is gH 0-8 and pH between 6.1-6.5 and low salinity (Na) blackwater condition is very2 reccomended .
How to reach that parameter? to lower the gH use specific Ion Exchange Resin treatment (N1wanred sell IER treatment unit with exact specification to lower the gH withour exchange into acid or alkaline substrate) ,then lower the pH using blackwater extract , i'm not reccomending use of pH down solution .
When you reach this parameter ,actually you re copying the exact parameter of blackwater region river of Borneo Island , actually there are more parameter like electrolit conductivity and mass weight of the water but i'll explain that later on next topic.
2. Make sure your aro got feed with Shrimp /prawn or insects only ( crickets, centipede, bamboo moths) to get enough supply of chitine and carotene to be processed as astaxanthin for red pigmentation.
Best of all : Shrimp! or just feed your cricket with dried shrimp a day before feeded to your aro.
3.Tanning :
Here's the process , get rid of lighting from above direction , use underwater/submerged lamp , use only 14.000-16.000K lamp (plant growth type) for get red pigmentation ,then combine with smaller Actnic Blue lamp for deepening the red coluration .
Remember only 12hours of tanning maximum a day!

Have a nice try! do it man and get amazed !

Edge
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Prof, thanks for your good lessons (first thing I am opening the forum, I got what I wanted). Would you mind explaining some more detail ? How deep (from water surface, assumed water depth is 40cm) is the submerged-lamp supposed to be ? Is there any big impact if the aro has never been fed with shrimp/prawn or centipede ? Since I got problem to find these stuffs within my area. I fed my aro with only cricket and 'ulat hongkong'. How long will normally we get the aro turning red since the first tanning ? (assumed aquarium length is 1 m, tanning lamp is 20W NAN, the aro length is about 12" / 30cm, nothing is red / orange / yellow except its gill-cover looks a bit yellow / orange). Thank you very much for sharing very mutual lessons.

JD Winata
02-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Please read my past threats in this forums ,its all explained there

Wang_sen
02-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Prof, in your past thread, you said that Actinic Blue should be smaller than Plant Growth and placed [B]at the top[\B], but here you said that we've to avoid any lighting from above direction, I'm a little confused with this statement. Would u explain it to us? Thanx :)

JD Winata
02-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Top : not from the above directly straight to the bottom , but on side top or higher position than PG positioning .Said like put it on side glass and on top of water surface and facing down at 45'
What im trying to avoid is lighting from above /top if you re using PG light then will decrease your aro crossback rings to development, also dropped eyes syndrome .
Eventough for Actnic Blue its ok to be placed on top above as long as you re using the 22.000K Actnic Blue , and remember if PG lamp is 40W ,use only 20W ActnicBlue (half of PG lamp)
PlantGrowth for rising the colour and rings
Actnic Blue is for deepening red colouration , so better use AB only after your aro have rings first

milen007
03-04-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks alot, this is so informative