PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 20D, 30D, 5D or Nikon D200

Joehendry
06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Canon EOS 20D, 30D, 5D or Nikon D200?

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/20D_vs_30D_vs_5D_vs_D200.jpg
by Bob Atkins (http://www.bobatkins.com/)
Bob Atkins (www.BobAtkins.com) (http://www.bobatkins.com/)

Many potential buyers of a new Canon mid-range DSLR will now be wondering one of (at least) four things:

Is it worth upgrading from (or to) an EOS 20D to an EOS 30D?
Should I get an EOS 30D/20D or an EOS 5D?
Should I get an EOS 5D or Nikon D200?
Should I get an EOS 30D/20D or a Nikon D200?These are difficult questions and depend a great deal on how you intend to use the camera and how much you can afford to spend. I should add that of course there are Pentax-Samsung, Konica-Minolta-Sony and Olympus 4/3 DSLRs too, but here I'm just looking at competitive Canon and Nikon DSLRs. The Pentax-Samsung and Konica-Minolta-Sony DSLRs all have lower pixel counts and the Olympus DLSRs all have physically smaller sensors. Not that either is necessarily bad, just different. Smaller, but high pixel count, sensors tend to be noisier and lower pixel count (but equal size) sensors tend to have lower resolution. Obviously not everyone needs higher resolution and lower noise but the cameras discussed here represent higher resolution, lower noise, options in the $1000-$3000 range.
Upgrading from (or to) and EOS 20D or 30D?
For those upgrading from a 6MP DSLR like the EOS 10D or original Digital Rebel both the EOS 20D and EOS represent a significant improvement. Both the 20D and 30D offer a higher pixel count, faster operation (including very fast "wake up"), better AF and overall better usability. While the EOS 30D is a better camera in terms of features, with the EOS 20D selling for around $300 less it's still quite a viable alternative. If money is tight and image quality is your major reason for upgrading, the 20D might just be an excellent camera for you while it's still available new. Both the 20D and 30D are worthwhile upgrades from the original Digital Rebel, EOS 10D, D60 and D30. Not only is the pixel count higher but camera operation is faster, AF is better, the shutters are more durable, the sync voltage is higher and they are generally nicer and easier cameras to use. Upgrading from a 20D to a 30D is principally a features upgrade. Both cameras are capable of yielding the same image quality as outlined below.

Canon EOS 30D or EOS 20D?
The EOS 20D is a very good camera indeed. I've been using one for over a year and I've been very happy with it. Good resolution, low noise, very good quality. Even though the 20D and 30D share the same digital sensor, the 30D does have some nice additional features. A larger LCD screen which, from my experience with the EOS 5D, is significantly easier to read (especially if your close vision isn't all that it once was!). The firmware improvement such as Picture Styles, and RGB histogram, tweaked AF etc. are also a definite plus, as is the addition of a spotmeter. Though these extra feature don't change the intrinsic image quality, they do make the camera easier to use and features like the spot meter and RGB histogram allow the advanced user to more tightly control and analyze exposure.
Right now the 20D is selling for around $1150. The 30D is expected to sell at $1400 initially. If I didn't already have an EOS 20D, I think I'd pay the extra $250 for the new Canon EOS 30D. Whether it's worth the expense of selling a 20D for maybe $900 and buying a 30D for $1400 is a different question. For some it will be, for some it won't. The image won't be any better, though the EOS 30D will be a nicer camera to use and it will have a full 12 month warranty plus a shutter good for another 100,000 frames!

Canon EOS 30D/20D or EOS 5D?
Whether you go for a 30D/20D or a 5D depends a lot on what you shoot and how large a print you want to make. If you don't need the 5fps of the 30D/20D and if ultimate image quality is your primary concern, the Canon EOS 5D is an excellent camera and is certainly capable of yielding higher quality images than the EOS 30D/20D. It's only bettered by the EOS 30D/20D if you're a wildlife shooter working at the limits of your telephoto lens. If you need to crop the EOS 5D images because your lens isn't long enough (and for wildlife shooters, no lens is really long enough most of the time!), then the EOS 30D/20D should yield better images due to the higher pixel density. However if you're shooting portraits or landscapes, or anything else where you aren't limited by the maximum focal length of your lens, and you are making large prints, then the full frame sensor and higher pixel count of the EOS 5D will yield better images, though it will cost you around $1600 more. For the average shooter, making prints from uncropped images no larger than 11x14, it might be difficult to tell much difference between the results from the EOS 5D and EOS 30D/20D, given the use of equal quality lenses. However for larger prints or prints from images which have been cropped, the larger sensor and additional pixels of the EOS 5D can yield higher quality images.
Another advantage of the EOS 5D is that, being full frame, it allows full frame lenses like the EF 16-35/2.8L their full wideangle potential. Those worried about the long term value of EF-S series lenses for APS-C sized sensors (like those in the 20D/30D) if Canon eventually go all "full frame" won't have that concern if they buy full frame lenses and own an EOS 5D.

Canon EOS 5D or Nikon D200?
This is a pretty similar question to the one above (20D/30D or 5D). The EOS 5D has the higher pixel count and larger sensor, so it has an inherent image quality advantage as well as the ability to fully utilize the wide angle potential of full frame lenses. On the other hand the Nikon D200 has a higher frame rate, better weather sealing, GPS compatibility and a higher pixel density. For most users the question will be answered by the equipment they already own. I think few will jump from Nikon to Canon or Canon to Nikon on the basis of a single camera body. The significantly higher cost of the EOS 5D ($2950 vs. $1700) will obviously be a big factor for those who don't already have an investment in Canon or Nikon systems and will certainly attract potential buyers to the Nikon D200.

Canon EOS 30D or Nikon D200?
The Canon EOS 30D vs Nikon D200 question is again difficult to answer. Most people is probably to stick with what you already have. If you're a Canon shooter with Canon lenses, then the EOS 30D is the way to go. If you're a Nikon shooter with Nikon lenses, then the D200 is the way to go. They are pretty similar cameras in many respects including sensor size, frame rate, sync speed etc, though the D200 does have an extra 2MP and additional features such as GPS support, weather sealing, a larger buffer and a tighter spot meter. On the other hand, tests (see Dpreview.com) have shown that the noise level of the EOS 5D (and the EOS 20D/30D) at high ISO settings is somewhat lower than that of the Nikon D200. The D200 is also around $300 more expensive than the EOS 30D ($550 more expensive than the EOS 20D), though it's $1250 cheaper than the full frame, 12MP EOS 5D.
If you have no investment in either Nikon or Canon a potential user should carefully look over the whole system (body features, available lenses, available flash systems and other accessories) to decide which best meets their needs. I don't think there is any right answer or any subjective way to say which is "best". Remember that DSLRs these days have around an 18 month life cycle, so committing to a system on the basis of any single camera body probably isn't a great idea. You really have to consider the whole system. Today the Nikon D200 certainly has more features than the EOS 30D and so can be considered a "better", more fully featured camera (albeit a more expensive on too), but by next year Canon may have something with more features then the D200 - and by the year after that Nikon may be back "on top" with their latest model.
Canon EOS 30D, EOS 20D, EOS 5D and Nikon D200 Compared

Below is a comparison of some of the features of the EOS 30D, EOS 20D, EOS 5D and Nikon D200
EOS 30DEOS 20DEOS 5DNikon D200Sensor Size and Type