PDA

View Full Version : Are small frozen shrimps good?

mr.ius
06-04-2006, 11:15 PM
aloha everyone,
I just moved back to indonesia from hawaii and just getting started to join in on the hobby since i got myself a small super-red about 4 months old (kinda cute) but I was a bit worried about what to feed it, they say that fresh water shrimps are the best source for protein.
i gave it those small lil' white shrimps and that boy can really eat!:D however.. those lil' dudes wont last long, AKA they rest in peace in a single day, plus they make the tank where i put 'em smell like crap :mad:
so i decided to give my super-red some frozen shrimps, but they are only available in small sizes, which means when they melt, they are too small and sometimes stay at the bottom.
so whats the best way to keep your live shrimp stocks alive, or if frozen is recommended, whats the best tip?

sorry if i ask too much, im still new at this :o

tigers
06-05-2006, 12:46 AM
fresh water shrimps need lower temperature water 24-26C, try put a little ice, and dont to many in 1 tank

hengky
06-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Im no where near pro...but IMO if u can get ur SR to eat MP (market prawn) that would be wonderful...save lotsa trouble like those "craps" u juz mentioned earlier on:p ....or should i say makes our life way easier. U might wanna watch out for those hard shell tho. or maybe u can try alternate other food source to feed too, like crickets (i frozen them):p But unfortunately, Im rather facing a sucky phase where my SR seems to be annoying those delicious foods myself...so like i said, juz an opinion. ohh...welcome back and welcome abroad here :) :congrats:

nin0
06-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Hello Bro, welcome back to Indonesia!
Prawn is a good source of nutriens for Aro. Any idea to train Aro to feed on dead prawn?

thx,
-nin0

mr.ius
06-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Im no where near pro...but IMO if u can get ur SR to eat MP (market prawn) that would be wonderful...save lotsa trouble like those "craps" u juz mentioned earlier on:p ....or should i say makes our life way easier. U might wanna watch out for those hard shell tho. or maybe u can try alternate other food source to feed too, like crickets (i frozen them):p But unfortunately, Im rather facing a sucky phase where my SR seems to be annoying those delicious foods myself...so like i said, juz an opinion. ohh...welcome back and welcome abroad here :) :congrats:

that reminds me, because I did tried to feed it with a few market prawns, and it turns out that the fish doesnt like it. when i compared the market prawns and the small lil' frozen one, the result shows that the lil' frozen one has a stronger smell than the bigger market ones. but, yeah it would be easier for an aro to eat some market prawns.:)
what if I feed the aro some fried soy sauce shrimp, 'cuz it has better smell :D

mr.ius
06-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Hello Bro, welcome back to Indonesia!
Prawn is a good source of nutriens for Aro. Any idea to train Aro to feed on dead prawn?

thx,
-nin0

Mahalo for the greets bros :congrats:
the problem is that dead prawns sank quicker than the aro could even finish it (if the aro is too small). i dunno if the leftover meats of the dead prawns could invite certain type of impact to the tank.
maybe some deep fried prawns with a lil' salt and peppah!!:D

hengky
06-05-2006, 10:50 AM
that reminds me, because I did tried to feed it with a few market prawns, and it turns out that the fish doesnt like it. when i compared the market prawns and the small lil' frozen one, the result shows that the lil' frozen one has a stronger smell than the bigger market ones. but, yeah it would be easier for an aro to eat some market prawns.:)

lol...then u might as well deep fried ur aro too ;)

azura
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
wlcm back bro :congrats: my opinion is the same like the rest bros here juz dun be afraid u could freeze the little shrimp, defrost it b4 feed it to ur aro ... tats all. cheers :D

azura
06-05-2006, 05:51 PM
if u feed ur aro with mp, be sure to cut it into little pieces, so ur aro can chew it, mp is alot harder than little shrimp ;)

pdk
06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
hello from HI and welcome
those little fresh water shrimps or generic "o'pai" like fast clear well oxygenated water, w/ lots of space.

im just beginner too but id try to stay away frm feeding dead shrimps unless frozen kind. and dont leave any food in the tank uneaten.
larger frozen shrimps make life easier, also less chance of damage from chasing down those fast little shrimp if you have rocks driftwood in the tank.

mimisu_worm
06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
welcome bro. better you give cricket.

azura
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
hello from HI and welcome
those little fresh water shrimps or generic "o'pai" like fast clear well oxygenated water, w/ lots of space.

im just beginner too but id try to stay away frm feeding dead shrimps unless frozen kind. and dont leave any food in the tank uneaten.
larger frozen shrimps make life easier, also less chance of damage from chasing down those fast little shrimp if you have rocks driftwood in the tank.
tats another good point why i feed it w/ frozen shrimp/prawn ;)

mr.ius
06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
hmm..then anyone here still remembered their biology 101 about the composition of whether shrimps or crickets that has the best selection of healthier and, maybe, has the better color enhancing for a young aro :p
I'm no marine bio, but i know shrimps and prawns are tastier for us humans :D unless anyone ever ate crickets or deep fried 'em. I'd probably wont ask if anyone ever ate crickets alive/ fresh :confused:

azura
06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
maybe not for us but crix or other insects can be delicious cuisine to other cultures ;)

mr.ius
06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
:congrats: mahalo everyone :congrats: for all your tips, I'm glad that there are many people helping each other within this club. It makes me want to be more active within this club as a member, is there any chances or place where this organization meet/ held a normal meeting? plus I read that you guys are also helping out the disaster in jogja, thats a swell thing to do, GOD bless this club:)
I wanna help out too, and be active within the club during my stay here, but I'm still kinda new and unfamiliar. hope for guidance from the seniors:D . terima kasih informati semua kawan. ;)

azura
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
:congrats: mahalo everyone :congrats: for all your tips, I'm glad that there are many people helping each other within this club. It makes me want to be more active within this club as a member, is there any chances or place where this organization meet/ held a normal meeting? plus I read that you guys are also helping out the disaster in jogja, thats a swell thing to do, GOD bless this club:)
I wanna help out too, and be active within the club during my stay here, but I'm still kinda new and unfamiliar. hope for guidance from the seniors:D . terima kasih informati semua kawan. ;)
ur wlcm bro ... we all still learn here, not yet graduate :p ... oh yeah, as u mentioned abt the club meeting, this saturday we r going to hold a field trip to aro farms n of course monthly meeting. so why dont u joined us then ? u can check abt field trip in thread below:
http://www.n1wanred.com/isi/forum/showthread.php?t=4347

fishconnection
06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
hmm..then anyone here still remembered their biology 101 about the composition of whether shrimps or crickets that has the best selection of healthier and, maybe, has the better color enhancing for a young aro :p
I'm no marine bio, but i know shrimps and prawns are tastier for us humans :D unless anyone ever ate crickets or deep fried 'em. I'd probably wont ask if anyone ever ate crickets alive/ fresh :confused:

welcome to the forums Mr. Ius.....:) As for your differentiation of crickets and shrimps..maybe you can do alternate feeding. Shrimps can enhance color of your SR but you can also try Crickets (after feeding them with high quality fishfood or carrots) which also could enhance coloration. Happy Arowana Keeping!!!