Go Back   N1wanRed FORUMS > ARWANA Forum > Arowana (English Forum) > AroTank
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AroTank Filter, lighting, water quality

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
aroindah (581)
NAC MEMBER

Default Re: ssd

You are 200 % correct,

After experimenting many chemical stuffs, finally I found the ketapang leaves in the best water treatment for freshwater fish. It is also amazing why many diseases disappeared after this treatment. At first I thought it was by low ph, but some cases (such as anchor worms) did not go away for low ph only, but works on by ketapang leaves. Now I understand what you termed humic acid is the cause. White spots, fungus, stress etc are disappeared. Excellent.

Now I don't even need to age water to filli in my tank, but must add some ketapang leaves first into the filter. Understood here also it will penetrate the poison in non aging water

Thank you so much Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy_aquatic View Post
adding ketapang leaves to the aquarium is an attempt to simulate the natural "black water" environment of most tropical fishes.
Black water has a distinctive brownish tea colour and contains many dissolved organic materials suc as humic and tannins.
Dried ketapang leaves will help to release these organic acids into the aquarium water.
these would turn lower the water pH level, absorb harmful chemicals and create a soothing and calm environment for the fish.
Peat and decaying driftwood, which are also rich sources of humic acids will also be helpful additions to the aquarium.

the ketapang tree is a big 'pagoda-shaped' tree with distinct tiered brances. The tree originates from the malaysia region.
The bark, fruit and leaves of the tree have traditionally been used to treat various ailments, from skin disease, dysentery, headaches to colic in children

Ketapang ( Terminalia catappa ) is also known by the following common names, tropical almond, badamier, java lamond, amandier de cayenne, wild alomond, indian almond, myrobalan, malabar almond, singapore almond, huu kwang, sea almond and kobateishi.
The tree is known to produce a poison in its leaves and sap to defend itself against insect parasites. When the dried leaves falls into the river, they leave a strong brown dye that is full of organic acids like humic acids and tannins.

Humic acids and tannins may be usefull for inhibiting many types of bacteria including cyano-bacteria. Humic acids also detoxify heavy metals. Humic material and detritus in the aquarium also rapidly absorb and detoxify many chemicals, including zinc, aluminium and copper.

HUmid acid is the end product of microbial degradation of plant and animal debris and is an important constituent of fertile soils. it contains sulfur, nitrogen and phosphorus in varying amounts. Also present are metals such as calcium , magnesium, and zinc. tannins, lignins and fulvic acids, are sub classes of humic acids, which tint the water yellow
aroindah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
bengkel168 (473)
NAC MEMBER

Default Re: ssd

Dear Seniors,

tried to find peat at Ace Hardware.. - gardening section
all they have is a. Peat pot Rp. 13.800 -20 pcs
b. Peat pellets Rp 78.000 -25 pcs
I didn'nt see any instructions to mix with water on both...
which one should i buy?

One more thing..
I think this thread is VERY USEFUL ..
but i think many people would've missed it becoz of the title "ssd"
what is ssd anyway??

Serious Sexual Diseases??

bengkel168 is offline   Reply With Quote