» Recent Photo Posts

Go Back   N1wanRed FORUMS > ARWANA Forum > Arowana (English Forum) > AroTank
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AroTank Filter, lighting, water quality

Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

Default Lighting for Aro selection

Based on my own test , if you want to choose an aro in the shop but affraid of the colour abberation /distortion , here's my tips :
1. Use combination of 2 lamps Actnic Blue and Plant growth UV .
2. The combo should be 1:2 in comparison of lumens , meaning if you use 10W Acnic blue (20.000K) then combine it with 20W of Plant growth lamp (10.00-16.000K)
3. The combo of lights will appear like morning/ evening sunray spectrum which show the real Iridophore pigments colouration.

Seems very difficult to manage 2 lamps in the shop but you may found it easy on cooperative shop .
JD Winata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
kino (946)
NAC 016

Default Re: Lighting for Aro selection

Execuse me,
are there any different bettwen 10w acnic+20w plant grouth and 20w acnic+40w plant grouth for the result.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 AM   #3
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

As long as 1:2 its OK.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Ian (329)
NAC 018

saya pribadi pake actinic blue+white luxline. kebetulan dua2nya merek sylvania.
warna ikan menurut saya terlihat natural bgt. seperti yg pak JD bilang, bisa gantiin pancaran spektrum sinar matahari. coba deh..kalo di rtg warna emasnya jadi keren..kilat bgt. hehehehe.....kalo di sr, warnanya yah gt, kalo srnya ga merah bgt yah ga merah bgt jadinya.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

For daily tanning , better use 3:1 (30W Plant growth type and 10W Actnic Blue type, or similar comparison)
2:1 will show pale looks like so it not for show off but for foreseen at worse condition , with Gold Aro it would look amazingly bright metalic gold
Old 07-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
Gaga (2719)
NAC 005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Winata
Based on my own test , if you want to choose an aro in the shop but affraid of the colour abberation /distortion , here's my tips :
1. Use combination of 2 lamps Actnic Blue and Plant growth UV .
2. The combo should be 1:2 in comparison of lumens , meaning if you use 10W Acnic blue (20.000K) then combine it with 20W of Plant growth lamp (10.00-16.000K)
3. The combo of lights will appear like morning/ evening sunray spectrum which show the real Iridophore pigments colouration.

Seems very difficult to manage 2 lamps in the shop but you may found it easy on cooperative shop .
Sylvania punya type Marine Star (actinic blue colors with 20.000 K). Tapi di brosurnya saya baca bahwa type ini hanya biasa digunakan untuk aquarium terumbu karang (yg memang sangat tergantung kehidupannya dgn sinar matahari). Saya baru tahu type ini cocok buat tanning aro.

Om JD, boleh ngga kalau tanning SR pake 1 Sylvania Aqua Star (Plant Growth) 40 watt 10.000 K dan 1 Sylvania Marine Star 40 watt 20.000 K?

Mana yg lebih harus diperhatikan waktu memilih lampu untuk tanning SR? Apakah unsur K atau Lument-nya? Apa bedanya antara K dan lument? Apakah K untuk tingkat terangnya cahaya dan lument untuk tingkat cepat rambat cahayanya?

Karena setahu saya PL light yg banyak digunakan/disrankan oleh penghobi SR di Singapore hanya 6.500 K, tapi Lument PL light jauh lebih tinggi bila dibanding dgn lampu FL.

Thanks
Gaga
Gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

Lumens or Ansi Lumens or Candle Light are stands for power measurement of the lamp (the bigger the number , more brighter the output power/light)

Kelvin colour temperature is more for colur spectrums of the lamp not higher power or else , ,more higher the K number it will be more Blue , lower the number is more red , whitish /daylight is aroun 5000K to 8000K , the highest amount of UV spectrum is around 8000-16.000K but again it all depends on the lamp's quality and internal coating .

6.500K 's lamp will make your aro looks more red but it is not for the purpose of tanning because lack of optimum UV spectrum rather than you use 8000K-16.000K , UV spectrum is key element for photo synthesis process in guanophore cell .

Some of scientist believe 8000K to 16.000K is optimum for fish tanning , i did some research for metalic coloured fish (RTG aro) and it show much increasing in metalic colouration by adding above 18.000K lamps (actnic blue type) i do believe there's something in the deep blue spectrum is usefull for our aro 's tanning.

Actually combination of 1 Actnic Blue and 2 Plant growth lamp will give neutral colour (it will not make your fish looks pale like using daylight TL but it not fools you with iridescent effect)
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
aro882001 (5)

Very useful info. Do you mean we can use the same ratio as you suggested on different types of aros? Chilli red or BMB cross back?

I was told before that chilli red needs more red or pink tube while BMB cross back needs more blue color tube? Please advise. Thanks
aro882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

I could not say for sure ,because i have no data on Gold aro intensive tanning yet , but soon i'll have it. In short i will said yes it is , but i confuse with the fact that upper lighting and sun ray did slow the developtment of 6th level rings (crossback rings) ,but its another subject for me.
BTW ,the myth of Red aro needs more Red/pink colour tube (low colour temp) instead of blueish colour tube (higher colour temp) is false ,
It is for viewing or appearance but not for tanning , Actnic blue is needed as component of spreading process at pigment's cells, just like that spectrum's needed to coral reef .
Actnic blue make your aro appear to be odd looks colour ,but it does help process of tanning with combination with high UV spectrum light .
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
aro882001 (5)

I have 8 lights as a group on top my my 10 feet tank. Each light is 40w. Right now I'm putting 2 of full spectrum daylight, 6 of marine blue lights at 18000k each. Shall I take off 2 of marine blue, instead I put 2 full specturm daylight? For your information, right now I put BMB cross back plus some tankmates, like parrots, feifeng and tiger.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

If you had 8 lamps set up i suggest :
1 daylight lamps (8000K)
1 Actnic Blue B (18.000K)
2 Actnic Blue A (22.000K) this one is more blue than B
4 Plant growth type of lamps (ussually between 12.000-16.000K) this type is have more UV spectrum for tanning but remember it only last 5-6months for maximum UV ray.

BTW you use large number of light make sure you had descent ventilation inside the tank's hood or you get overheating your tank with excessive heat from the lamp's ballast
Old 08-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
aro882001 (5)

Thank you for your reply. Since I can't find any Blue light has 22000K in fish stores here, can I use 4 marine blue (each is 18000K) instead. Then I put 2 ultra sun day lights (each is 6500K) and 2 luxline plus T8 (I don't have Kelvin for them, but they are very bright white, can be taken as plant type style. Will it be good?
Right now I put my RMB cross back in the tank. If I want to put chilli red there, shall I make certain changes on the light? Or I just leave it as above no mattrer what type of aros. in the tank. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
JD Winata (5695)
NAC 002

Sorry but the Actnic Blue 22.000K is different from 18.000K , 22.000K / Actnic Blue A , is (by my hyphotesis) good for deepening colour intense (not to developt it ) i had tried 18.000K butit failed and seems has no effect at all,
Plant growth type of lamp is had most UV spectrum than any type of aquarium/terarrium light , its not bright but you could feel the heat radiation from the ray . The idea was to use the most UV spectrum to do the tanning for fish's pigment cell (guanophore)
Sunlight type is only imitates the colour spectrum of the sun ray it is not optimum for tanning .
You could try hagen brand , visit hagen.com or hagenusa.com .They had broad options of lamps
Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
aro882001 (5)

Thank you for the explanation. I'll try to find hagen products accordingly to your advice.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 PM   #15
Anthony_loh (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Winata
Sorry but the Actnic Blue 22.000K is different from 18.000K , 22.000K / Actnic Blue A , is (by my hyphotesis) good for deepening colour intense (not to developt it ) i had tried 18.000K butit failed and seems has no effect at all,
Plant growth type of lamp is had most UV spectrum than any type of aquarium/terarrium light , its not bright but you could feel the heat radiation from the ray . The idea was to use the most UV spectrum to do the tanning for fish's pigment cell (guanophore)
Sunlight type is only imitates the colour spectrum of the sun ray it is not optimum for tanning .
You could try hagen brand , visit hagen.com or hagenusa.com .They had broad options of lamps
If I using a MH light(20k,150W)for tanning,is it ok for the fish,does I need the blue light???
Anthony_loh is offline   Reply With Quote